A Firm That Gives You

The Undivided Attention You Deserve

Nonimmigrant Visa Attorneys in San Francisco

Contact Our Firm for Assistance with Obtaining Temporary Residence

A nonimmigrant visa allows an individual to come to the United States temporarily, typically for study or work-related purposes. Unlike green cards, which grant lawful permanent residence, nonimmigrant visas only allow a person to stay in the U.S. for a certain amount of time. At the end of that period, depending on the type of visa he or she has, the individual may either extend his or her visa or leave the United States.

If you need to secure a nonimmigrant visa, our firm can help. At the Law Offices of Shamieh, Shamieh & Ternieden, our San Francisco nonimmigrant visa attorneys have years of experience and have helped thousands of clients navigate the process of obtaining a visa. We can help you determine which type of visa you need to apply for, properly gather and submit the necessary paperwork, and prepare for your hearing.

Learn more about which type of nonimmigrant visa is best for your situation. Call (415) 300-2144 today to discuss your options. We serve clients across the country from our offices in San Francisco and Sacramento.

Schedule An Appointment

Nonimmigrant Visa Types

Currently, there are 19 different types of nonimmigrant visas available for those wishing to reside in the U.S. for a limited period.

Some of the more common nonimmigrant visas include:

  • Temporary business/tourist visas (B-1/B-2)
  • Student visas (F-1)
  • Temporary workers, both agricultural and non-agricultural (H-2A/H-2B)
  • Athlete visas, both amateur and professional (B-1 or P)
  • Transiting visas (C)
  • Intra-company transfer visas (L-1)
  • Exchange visitor visas (J-1)

These are just some of the common types of nonimmigrant visas. There are many other situations in which you may apply for temporary residence in the U.S., including if you are a victim of human trafficking, a religious worker, an entertainer, or a patient receiving medical care in the United States.

Victims of crimes, along with their immediate family members, may be eligible for a U visa. These visas are set aside for those who have suffered the substantial abuse of a mental or physical nature as the result of a crime and are willing to aid law enforcement or government officials in their investigation or prosecution.

Adjustment of Status and Nonimmigrant Visas

If you are already living in the United States and wish to apply for a green card, you can request an adjustment of status. In contrast to consular processing, which is the process used by immigrants living outside the United States, you do not have to go to the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country if you are eligible for adjustment of status. Instead, you may remain in the U.S. while applying for permanent lawful residence.

To be eligible for adjustment of status, you must meet one or more of the following eligibility requirements:

  • You must have an approved family- or employment-based visa petition or be in the process of filing a petition concurrently (if possible)
  • You were allowed into the U.S. on a K-1 fiancĂ©(e) visa and married your spouse within 90 days of entering the country or, if you married your spouse after 90 days, your spouse must file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
  • You were admitted into the U.S. on a K-2 visa as the child of a K-1 fiancĂ©(e) and your parent has applied for adjustment of status
  • You entered the U.S. via asylum or refugee status, have lived in the U.S. for at least one year, and still qualify for asylum/refugee status or are the spouse or child of someone who qualifies for asylum/refugee status
  • You were selected for entry into the U.S. on a diversity visa via the green card lottery
  • You must physically be in the U.S., and you must have entered the country with permission with proper border inspection and have a current valid visa (with some exceptions)

Because every situation is unique, there may be exceptions or extenuating circumstances in your case. Contact our firm to discuss your case today.

At the Law Offices of Shamieh, Shamieh & Ternieden, You Matter

Our firm is dedicated to providing every client with personalized representation. Visa law is incredibly complex and changes often. Our lawyers have an in-depth knowledge of the law and extensive experience navigating the legal system. We are committed to helping you stay informed throughout the process. At our firm, we truly care about your case.

We have helped clients determine their best options among the many common types of nonimmigrant visas. Contact us online or by phone at (415) 300-2144 to schedule your initial consultation!

You're In Good Hands
  • Attentive Service
  • Award-Winning Attorneys
  • Multilingual Firm
  • Thousands of Clients Helped
  • 30 Years of Experience

Let's Get Together

All consultations are 100% Confidential. Please note that we require a consultation fee. Complete our form below or call us at (415) 300-2144. Or Schedule An Appointment.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.