A Firm That Gives You

The Undivided Attention You Deserve

San Francisco K-1 Fiancé Visa Attorneys

Helping You Bring Your Fiancé(e) to the United States

If you are engaged but your fiancé lives outside of the U.S., he or she may be eligible for a K-1 nonimmigrant visa, or fiancé visa. The K-1 visa allows a U.S. citizen to bring his or her fiancé(e) to the United States for the purpose of getting married. The marriage must occur within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e)’s arrival, at which time, the foreign spouse may file to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder).

If you need assistance with any aspect of a K-1 fiancé visa, contact the Law Offices of Shamieh, Shamieh & Ternieden. We have helped thousands of clients with a wide variety of immigration law matters, including filing for and obtaining a fiancé visa. We can help you throughout each stage of the process.

Looking for a K-1 fiancé visa lawyer in San Francisco or nearby? Call the Law Offices of Shamieh, Shamieh & Ternieden at (415) 300-2144 today to schedule a consultation with a member of our team.

Schedule An Appointment

What Are the Requirements for a K-1 Visa?

The main requirements for a K-1 visa include:

  • Petitioner’s U.S. Citizenship: The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen. Permanent residents are not qualified to file for a K-1 visa.
  • Intent to Marry: Both the U.S. citizen petitioner and the foreign fiancé(e) must have a bona fide purpose to marry within 90 days of the fiancé(e) entering the United States.
  • Legally Free to Marry: Both parties must be legally free to marry. This means that any previous marriages must be legally terminated through divorce, annulment, or death.
  • In-Person Meeting Requirement: The couple must have met in person at least once within the two years preceding the filing of the petition. Exceptions are possible but require strong evidence of extreme hardship or cultural/social norms that prohibit such meetings.
  • Proof of Relationship: The petitioner must provide evidence of a genuine relationship. This can include photographs, correspondence, travel documents, and any other proof that demonstrates the relationship is real and ongoing.
  • Affidavit of Support: The petitioner must meet certain income requirements and provide an affidavit of support, ensuring that the foreign fiancé(e) will not become a public charge once in the United States.

How to Apply for a K-1 Visa

In order to be eligible for a K-1 visa, you and your fiancé(e) must both be legally free to marry one another at the time of petitioning and the marriage must be allowed under U.S. law. Furthermore, you and your fiacé(e) must marry within 90 days and must remain married. Typically, the two individuals who intend to marry must have met or spent time together in person within the two years prior to filing for a K-1 visa, though exceptions may be allowed.

If you are eligible for a K-1 fiancé visa, you may begin the application process by taking the following steps:

  • The U.S. citizen fiancé must file a Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) with the local United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office.
  • USCIS will review the petition. If approved, it will be sent to the National Visa Center and you will receive a case number. The petition will also be sent to the U.S. embassy/consulate in the country where your fiancé lives.
  • To apply for the K-1 visa, the foreign fiancé will need to attend an interview. He or she will need to bring a list of documents to the interview, including but not limited to a completed Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (printed), a valid passport, police certificates, photographs, evidence of the relationship, and more. Contact our office to learn more about the full list of required documents.
  • The applicant will need to undergo a medical examination in preparation for the interview. He or she will also be encouraged to receive vaccinations, but this is not required. He or she will also need to show proof of financial support.
  • The applicant will need to pay the required fees and attend the interview. Then, a decision will be made to either approve or deny the K-1 visa application. If approved, the foreign fiancé(e) will receive a sealed packet that contains the K-1 visa and passport, as well as the other documents provided in the interview.

If you and your fiancé(e) have any children currently residing in another country, they may file for a K-2 visa to come to the U.S. along with your fiancé(e). Each child will need to submit a separate application.

Our K-1 Visa Attorneys Can Help

The process of petitioning and applying for a K-1 visa can be lengthy and complex. It is important that you have all of the necessary paperwork and documentation and that you and your fiancé(e) correctly follow all of the required steps. If you have children, the process can be even more complicated. Furthermore, it’s important to remember that an approved K-1 visa does not guarantee that your fiancé(e) will be allowed to enter the U.S.

At the Law Offices of Shamieh, Shamieh & Ternieden, we have more than 45 combined years of legal experience. We use our in-depth knowledge of frequently changing U.S. immigration laws to help our clients navigate the process. Our San Francisco K-1 visa lawyers are here to answer your questions, address your concerns, help you file a petition or visa application, prepare for your interview, and handle any unexpected issues that may arise.

Contact our San Francisco fiancé visa attorney online or by phone at (415) 300-2144. We serve clients across the country from our offices located in San Francisco and Sacramento. 

You're In Good Hands
  • Attentive Service
  • Award-Winning Attorneys
  • Multilingual Firm
  • Thousands of Clients Helped
  • 30 Years of Experience

Let's Get Together

All consultations are 100% Confidential. Please note that we require a consultation fee. Complete our form below or call us at (415) 300-2144. Or Schedule An Appointment.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.